Amazing Contributions by Women in Computer Science
Why did women stop majoring in CS?
3 practical steps to re-invigorate girls interest in computer science & technology
1. Highlight the important history of women in computer science and technology to give young women the context that they have helped advanced this field from the very beginning. These women can help serve as powerful role models and examples of what can be accomplished.
- Pioneering Women in Computer Technology – Great timeline of historical contributions of women in – Published by Carnegie Mellon University
- Famous Women in Computing – Visual timeline of famous women’s impact on computing – Published by Anita Borg Institute
- The 15 Most Important Women in Tech History – Great biographical information of women in technology history – Published by Maximum PC
- Sign them up for technology-based camps during the summer so they can explore different elements of technology
- Register them for after-school programs so they can consistently practice solving problems using technology during the academic year. There are some great options that target both genders as well as those that are girl-specific including our own recently launched program, Ada’s Adventures.
- Ask school administrators what classes are available in school that provide exposure to these important topics
- When the Wi-Fi goes down, teach them how to re-start the router and explain how this helps re-establish the network connection
- When your smartphone freezes, show them how to reboot and explain how this process clears the short term memory and may help resolve the bug within the code base that caused the issue
- When your computer shuts down unexpectedly, show them how to recover the open documents
- When your smartphone Bluetooth doesn’t correctly pair with the system in your vehicle, guide them through the process of de-coupling and then re-establishing the connection.